Paint Out Competition In Historic Dublin, OH
As we feared, we had to cancel the
17th Annual Historic Dublin Paint Out
While the outdoor activity could “easily” be kept safe, the month-long exhibit is the challenging part. As we were considering options and whether to cancel or not, a few email exchanges with the Upper Arlington library, where we were supposed to have the Paint Out exhibit, cleared the doubts.
Unfortunately the library will not allow any exhibits after they reopen on May 27 because they’re having to limit people in the building and enforce social distancing.
So we decided to move the Paint Out to the fall, maybe end of September or beginning of October, date TBD. We will continue to monitor the situation and try to make the best decisions to keep everyone safe.
Feel free to go and paint on your own on that day.
NOTE: Any paintings or photographs of Dublin, OH can be entered into the 2020 Irish Show. At this time we are still hopeful that that show will be able to take place. For info about that call for entries click here.
Juror: Mark Gingerich
Born in Germany to American missionary parents, Mark Gingerich grew up both in Hamburg and Central Ohio. He enjoyed drawing from an early age, winning national awards in his teenage years for his drawings.
As an artist who paints en plein air, Mark embraces the history and challenge of painting outside on location. His looseness of style and handling of color and light draw upon the French Barbizon and Impressionist traditions. He has also been inspired by influential American plein air painters such as Kevin Macpherson, Ralph Oberg and John Budicin and attended numerous workshops including those presented by the Scottsdale and Fredericksburg Art Schools. While these influences have been instrumental in Mark’s early growth and continuing inspiration, he is essentially self-taught and feels that art cannot be totally taught by a teacher—each artist must find his or her own voice on the canvas. According to Mark, “The aspiring artist must let go of all influences and let the subconscious move the brush in order to paint with conviction and emotion.”
Whether painting in the Ohio countryside with a vintage clothed model, rendering a still life in the studio, or venturing out into the landscape of California, the East Coast, or Italy, Mark seeks to translate his emotional response into visual poetry. He is a founding member of the Ohio Plein Air Society and a member of the American Impressionists Society. He and his wife, Shana, live near West Jefferson, Ohio, and enjoy being involved in the lives of their five children.
Paint Out Exhibit
All entries will be in an exhibit at the Upper Arlington Main Librarydates TBD
at the Friends Theater, Upper Arlington Main Library
2800 Tremont Rd, Upper Arlington, OH 43221
The reception is free and open to the public.
The Historic Dublin Paint Out is partially funded by the Dublin Arts Council though a Community Arts Grant to encourage community engagement, cultivate creativity, and foster life-long learning through the arts, and by Blick Art Materials.
Info about the Paint Out competition:
The registration table will be at the corner of High and Bridge St., in Dublin, OH (a close-by address to enter in your GPS is 12 W Bridge St, Dublin, OH.)
- Stamping. Get your support stamped before your start painting.Get your support stamped before you start painting.
– Artist may get several BLANK supports stamped and pay only one entry fee of $15.
– If at the end of the day artists want to submit multiple entries, he/she has to pay an extra $10 per additional entry.
– We start the registration and stamping at 9 am. You are welcome to arrive earlier and scout a place to paint, start making value studies, but keep your support blank for until stamping (uniform toning is acceptable).
- Cost: The entry fee is $15.00 for the first entry, $10 for any extra entry.
- Where: Artists are allowed to set up their easel anywhere in the Dublin area, preferably on streets where the public may enjoy their work. Yes, you are allowed to cross the new pedestrian bridge. 🙂
- Subject matter: paint what you see.
- All media except photography is allowed. All styles will be considered and will be judged on the merit of the final work.
- Important: All paintings must be turned in, completed and framed (or wired for hanging), by 3 pm. Wet paintings, drawings, and watercolors must be framed. Unframed canvases are allowed, but must be dry and wired to hang.
- Supplies: bring your own.
- Age: 16+.
- Judging: The juror, renown artist Mark Gingerich, will judge the entries after they are hung at the UA Library.
- Prizes: Best of Show $200, funded by the Dublin Arts Council. 1st Place $100, 2nd Place $75, 3rd Place $50. Winners will be announced at the reception on June 11th.
- New: Pre-registration will make lines shorter on the day of the event. Pre-register below.
If a painting sells during the exhibit, all transactions are between the artist and the buyer, and 100% of the proceeds goes to the artist.
Planning on entering the Paint Out competition?
Please help us have a head-count, pre-register below.
Pay Your Registration Online ($15 + $1 transaction fee)